Language & Arts
Make Flying Start to Literacy the core of your literacy resources.
Flying Start to Literacy is a comprehensive core early literacy program that supports the systematic development of reading strategies and skills of young learners.
THE BIG NEWS IN EARLY LITERACY
Use Flying Start to Literacy in your classroom and build a solid foundation in beginning reading.
|Key vocabulary is introduced systematically.||Key vocabulary is carefully introduced and constantly revisited. Paired books present the same key vocabulary in different text types.|
|High-frequency words have a high rate of repetition with a low ratio of unfamiliar words.||Connected, paired books present the same high-frequency words in different sentence structures and text types.|
|A variety of text types enable the development of a range of reading strategies.||A range of text types, with different structures and text features, build reading strategies for texts that have different purposes.|
|Text complexity is carefully sequenced to build reading strategies.||Flying Start to Literacy is sequenced into 7 Developmental Stages and 30 Guided Reading levels. Reading strategies are developed and consolidated at each level.|
|The teaching of phonics and phonemic awareness is supported by the program.||Underpinning Flying Start to Literacy is a systematic and explicit sequence of phonemic awareness and phonics. This sequence is matched in the books to provide a context for learning.|
|Fluency enhances comprehension.||Lesson Plans provide opportunities for oral reading and include the re-reading of books to improve word identification skills and comprehension.|
|Reading and writing are linked.||The range of text types and the pairing of narrative and informative texts provide models of writing for the readers. Comprehensive Lesson Plans include writing as an integral part of each lesson.|
|Assessment is ongoing to inform instruction.||Ongoing assessment forms part of each teaching sequence. Assessment checklists are available.|
Connected Texts to Reinforce Learning
- 268 readers (134 pairs of books) organised into 7 Developmental Reading Stages.
- Paired books address the same concepts, vocabulary and high-frequency words in different text types and sentence structures.
- High-frequency words are gradually and systematically introduced and reused.
- There is a high rate of repetition of high-frequency words and a low ratio of unfamiliar words.
- There is a balance of illustrated narrative and photographic informative books.
- There is a wide range of text types – narratives, recounts, procedures, explanations and reports.
Contact us on:
Tel: 011 731 3300
Fax: 011 731 3535